As I type, I’m bubbling with excitement over the delicious scones that bake in the other room. The unmistakable scent of lavender wafting through the house.
I’ve been on a cut, or “diet” for several weeks. I hate the word diet. Why? Because of the feelings almost everyone feels when they hear the work, including me. It promises restriction, restraint, and a sense that you’re missing out on certain foods. That in order to lose weight and look good, you have to kick to the curb anything aside from chicken breast and cous cous. My intentions are to swing in the opposite direction of how I’ve been eating as of late, as I’ve been pretty indulgent (chips, candy, cookies, wine and lots of it). In swinging hard the opposite way, I’ll see the results I want: to lean out while still retaining muscle and strength. In the fitness world, we call this cutting up. Somewhere during the process, I’ll find my middle ground – neither restrictive or over indulgent.
So after several weeks of very tight food management and reawakening my awareness around food and what I’m putting into my body and how it impacts my body, moods and athletic performance, I decided it was time to reward myself with some (HEALTHY) baked goods. BlackBerry Lavender Walnut Scones.
Let’s get to it. Grab your aprons and turn on some tunes, you’re in for a treat with these delectable delights.
- Preheat oven to 425. Line cooking sheet with parchment or foil.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugars and salt. Cut the oil into the flour using your hands until it all looks a little grainy and there are no large chunks left. Stir in the delightful lavender.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the almond milk and vanilla. Mix it together until it is almost all the way combined but stop just before you overkill it and make it a perfectly joined mixture. Good! Fold in berries and walnuts. Again, don’t over mix.
- Scoop out dough into 1/3 cup measurements and drop ’em onto the baking sheet. Brush with almond milk, and if you really want to tickle your fancy, a pinch of white sugar on top (I opt out of the extra sugar). Bake until a little golden around the bottom, about 12 minutes with a max of 15.
- Remove from oven and experience some self-control, damn it, and only eat a few. Or say fuck it and eat em’ all. Makes about 12-15 depending on how you measure out your servings.
2 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup refine coconut oil
2 teaspoons dried lavender
1 1/4 cups plain almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup fresh berries (black berries, blue berries, whatever berry your heart delights)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Macros (based on 14 servings)
What makes these healthy, in my opinion, is the source of your carbohydrates, fats, and calories. The major sources of fat are coconut oil and walnuts. Walnuts have omega-3s, powerful free-radical fighting antioxidants, and for some men, a healthy diet of walnuts can enhance prostate health (Who knew?). A majority of the calories from carbohydrates in the scones are from the whole wheat flour. Whole wheat has a bit of an edge because it has the outer layer of the wheat, or bran, and that’s where all the good stuff is: dietary fiber, B vitamins, and antioxidants. Not to mention minerals such as zinc, iron, and magnesium (which helps relieve muscle soreness!)
So, without further ado, here are the macros based on 14 servings
5 g Fat
6 g Sugar
21 g Carbs
3 g Fiber
4 g Protein
8 thoughts on “Blackberry Lavender Scones”
Hmmmm…. how did i miss the recipe??? Cancel the previous para please 😉
Scones are my life!! 🙂
yum, looks delicious! 🙂 I’m a fitness blogger on here too! http://www.tifness.com
Awesome! Thanks for stopping by!
you’re welcome! 🙂 oh and btw I have a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/tifness it would mean alot if you check it out and tell me what you think ? ❤ I'm trying to get my numbers up! hehe. hope you're having an awesome day! xx
Ahh these sound so great!! will have to make them as a treat
Great idea! =)